Elderly couple killed inside their Hahira home - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Elderly couple killed inside their Hahira home

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Bank robbery suspect denied bond

    Bank robbery suspect denied bond

    Friday, April 18 2014 11:39 AM EDT2014-04-18 15:39:51 GMT
    A suspected bank robber remains in the Coffee County Jail on a probation violation warrant as the FBI and Douglas Police continue to work on charges.   We know investigators confiscated a shotgun whenMore >>
    A suspected bank robber remains in the Coffee County Jail, after he was officially charged with bank robbery, and denied bond in court.
    More >>
  • APD renews public outreach with 'java'

    APD renews public outreach with 'java'

    Friday, April 18 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-04-18 15:34:56 GMT
    Friday morning, APD officers provided an opportunity to get to know your neighborhood law enforcers as folks got their daily cup of 'Joe,' under the Golden Arches. The Albany Police Department joinedMore >>
    Friday morning, APD officers provided an opportunity to get to know your neighborhood law enforcers as folks got their daily cup of 'Joe,' under the Golden Arches.More >>
  • Ledo Road wreck victim identified

    Ledo Road wreck victim identified

    Friday, April 18 2014 11:23 AM EDT2014-04-18 15:23:30 GMT
    A collision on Ledo Road, near hasMore >>
    A collision on Ledo Road has killed 69-year-old Pamela Johnson, near Chili's and Walmart. It happened around 1:00 Thursday afternoon. Officials said three vehicles were involved in the crash.More >>

By Jade Bulecza - bio | email

HAHIRA, GA (WALB) –An elderly couple was killed in a fire at their Hahira home.

It's a heartbreaking story, a 74 year old woman died trying to save her disabled husband.

Firefighters tried to save the couple, but the intense fire prevented them from getting to the victims in time.

An elderly couple died in house fire Wednesday in their home off Blakely Street. Authorities say it looked like 74-year old Arletha Ratliff was in the back bedroom trying to save her husband, 84-year old Willie who was in a hospital bed. He was a double amputee.

"I could sit here on the porch and see it," said neighbor John W. Troy Jr.

 Troy Junior saw the fire and hoped the two were not inside.

"She worked hard," said Troy. "She and my wife used to work at Smith when the hospital was in Hahira."

Willie Ratliff's family was at the home Thursday talking to investigators and salvaging what they could in disbelief. They were too upset to go on camera, but we did find out that Ratliff was a World War II veteran. He's pictured here with one of his many children.

"His boys grew up to be good men one of them, his grandson, a pro-ball player," said Troy.

Jay Ratliff graduated from Lowndes High school and plays for the Dallas Cowboys.

Authorities believe the fire was caused by an electrical shortage in the washing machine.

Hahira police got to the scene first.

"PD was talking to the victims then we knew we had a good chance of getting in and getting them out but the fire conditions were so extreme," said Hahira Fire Chief Dwight Bennett.

The fire chief says it took the firefighters three attempts to get inside because of the heavy fire, smoke and 1,500 degree temperatures.

"It just took awhile to get in and locate them and by that time they passed away," said Chief Bennett.

It's a difficult time for the close-knit Hahira community as they mourn the loss of Arletha and Willie Ratliff. Neigbors like John Troy hope the family can find peace.

If you have a disabled family member, the fire chief recommends you make sure his or her bedroom is close to an exit and he reminds you to check your smoke detectors regularly.


©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback

 

Powered by WorldNow