Valdosta house fire caused by space heater

Valdosta house fire caused by space heater
A man in Valdosta is recovering from a house fire that caused an estimated 33,000 dollars’ worth of damage to his home.

VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) - A man in Valdosta is recovering from a house fire that caused an estimated $33,000 worth of damage to his home.

Early Tuesday morning, the Valdosta Fire Department responded to a call of a house fire near the corner Nicholas Drive and Lilly Street.

Officials says the man was in the front of the house when the fire began in the back of the home.

They shared that the cause of the fire was a space heater left alone, too close to flammable furniture.

“You also want to make sure that when you leave a room, you go ahead and turn that space heater off," said Fire Safety Educator, Tangela Rowe. “You don’t want to leave that running when you’re not in the room or when you’re leaving the residence. That’s just a safety precaution, just like leaving a lit candle. You never want to leave those unattended either.”

The victim was transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

No word on his condition at this time.

Copyright 2019 WALB. All rights reserved.